Sunday 1 July 2007

It ain't training unless its raining!

My body awoke this morning feeling the effects of training over the last week. A hard week consisting of recovery sessions on the monday and the start of half ironman training for the vitruvian in september. A fantastic week it was though, being finalised by an early 3hr cycle and 30min run brick at 5.30am on a Sunday.
I like to get out early on the bike because I miss all the traffic. I can have terrific endurance ride and still be back for breakfast, brilliant! I find it takes the pressure off my training for the rest of the day, because I have already completed my main session. It felt good to be up this early, like when I was at uni, sticking to a timetable. I don't like it over the summer when I have all this time free in the day to train. I find myself lying in until 9 or 10am and then I`m hungry and don't feel like training straight away. I have to have everything scheduled, a strict timetable and good luck to anything thats going to come in the way of that! Normally working gives me something to do in the day but I have only managed to get a few days and so I am really having to force myself to stick to specific trainign times.
It was wet, only drizzle, but none the less wet. I had prepared by clothes and bike the night before so that I could go straight out the door. The rain didn't start to hammer down until an hour in and for the next hour and a half it was really heavy, with some nasty winds to go with it! It was this or a hefty turbo session though and nobody could make me sit on that stationary bike for longer than 2 hours, nobody! I had to cut my cycle slightly short, half an hour short because I was drenched, my coat and waterproof cycle socks had done well, but eventually the water found a way through. I dumped my stuff and ran off for my half hour zone 2 run, my heart rate was steady because I was obviously warmed up from the cycle. I often have a problem beginning my runs since my heart rate takes ten to fifteen minutes to settle-in and its only then that I can start to track my zones.
A good week as I said consisting of:
Monday- 30mins turbo speedwork-recovery
Tuesday- 1hr 42 minute run in heart rate zone 2 with 3x6min z4-35minute swim drills+500m
Wednesday- 32minute swim/drills and 4x200m neg split-1hr 30min Turbo(force)-30 min core
Thursday-1hr turbo(power)-1hr z2 run
Friday- 46 minute swim/drills and 12x25m+10x50m sprints-1hr 30minute weights
Saturday-Rest due to tired legs from weights
Sunday-2hr 30min endurance cycle with 30min z2 run brick
Not a bad week, and I feel good as I write this so i`m happy. Just 30minutes of core left for today and then I can get on with my other long list of jobs!

No comments: