Tuesday 3 July 2007

Your over half way there!

Todays schedule: 30minute Run at Race Pace followed by 30minutes of core work.

I love running 5k's at race pace. I can go out hard from the start and before the pain or fatigue from running fast has caught up with me I have pretty much finished. 10k's are different, probably because I use the same strategy as I do with 5k's:
Go hard for the first 2k so as to raise VO2 levels to a peak which in turn produces better performance for the rest of the race. I tried this at the dambuster, and it worked, the first 2k were perfect, just as I had planned. But then I suffered. I fatigue for the middle 3 or 4 kilometres, it just seems although there is still such a long way to go. We all know the feeling when you are tired and still have over half the race to go, its horrible! But then for the last 3k I can get back up to pace, quite easily. Knowing that i`m over half way can switch my mood because I think, "I can annihalate myself and it will not matter, i`ll be finished soon!".
I think the key to complete a good 10k, personally, is to train myself to push through those middle 3 or 4 kilometres. That way I can go hard from the start and hold my pace all the way through the race.

No comments: